Routine wellness exams are important, as they can help detect any conditions or diseases early and keep your pet happy and healthy. At Cochrane Animal Hospital in Morgan Hill, CA, we provide regular wellness exams to learn about your cat or dog’s overall health and offer prompt treatment if necessary. Before scheduling your appointment with us, learn more about the importance of routine exams below:
Pet vaccinations are part of routine care and are integral to your dog or cat’s health. Our veterinarian will recommend certain core vaccines and non-core vaccines that will help protect your pet from common diseases. Some of these vaccines include:
- Canine parvovirus, distemper, canine hepatitis, and rabies vaccines are all core vaccines, which can protect your dog from common viruses
- Bordetella bronchiseptica, Borrelia burgdorferi, and the Leptospira bacteria vaccine are non-core that can protect your dog against exposure of certain viruses and help it live a longer and healthier life
- Cat owners should vaccinate their pets for feline distemper, feline calicivirus, feline herpes virus type I, and rabies, which are all core vaccines
- Non-core vaccines for cats include the feline leukemia virus, Bordetella, Chlamydophila, and feline immunodeficiency virus.
The best way to determine the core vaccines for your pet is to discuss vaccinations with our vet at your next wellness exam appointment.
Routine Wellness Exam
A wellness exam includes a thorough examination to check your pet for any medical conditions. Blood work and urine and stool testing may also be performed during the appointment. A wellness exam is sometimes performed at the same time when vaccinations are administered. Routine wellness exams usually include the following:
- Discussing your pet’s medical history and addressing any concerns regarding its health
- Physically evaluating your pet for any abnormal lumps or bumps
- A physical exam that could involve the veterinarian touching your pet to find any abnormal lumps or bumps.
- Vital sign assessment, which checks the pulse, temperature, and blood pressure
- Stool and urine testing
The frequency of wellness exams can depend on your pet’s age, breed, and any health conditions.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
Whether you want to learn more about our wide range of services or schedule a routine wellness exam, contact Cochrane Animal Hospital in Morgan Hill, CA, at (408) 778-7783 today. We are happy to provide you with additional information and set you up with an appointment. Our team looks forward to keeping your pet happy and healthy!